The Interceptor™ Hood is made with a layer of DuPont™ Nomex® Nano Flex inside that acts as a filter to reduce firefighters' exposure to persistent fire ground carcinogens and other contaminants. This revolutionary material is sewn between two layers of knit 6 oz. PBI®/Lenzing (20%/80%) to provide the maximum performance for particle barrier filtration, comfort, and thermal & flashover protection. Available in three sizes to fit a range of head circumferences: Medium (up to 22" head circumference), Large (22"-24" head circumference), and X-Large (24"-26" head circumference).
- The Interceptor™ blocks 95% of particulates at .2 micron in size or larger
- For perspective, there are 25,400 microns in one inch and a human hair is about 75-100 microns wide, so a .2 micron particulate is about 500x smaller than a strand of hair
- Testing has shown that the particulates sized at less than .2 microns don't have enough mass to make it through the double layer knit and the Nomex® Nano Flex; essentially meaning that this hood blocks 100% of particulates less than .2 microns
- Nomex® Nano Flex is a revolutionary new material however, unlike FR moisture barrier membranes, this new lightweight (0.5oz/yd2) "barely-there" material is actually completely breathable
- Nomex® Nano Flex is a non-woven, web technology, made of submicron continuous fibers.
THE NEED FOR A PARTICLE BARRIER
The Interceptor™ with Nomex® Nano Flex was designed to keep potentially carcinogenic particulates and other harmful contaminants off of firefighters’ jaws, faces, and necks; areas identified as highly absorptive and more permeable than other areas of skin; areas likely not getting enough protection from hazardous particles with the FR knit hood technology that is currently available.
Once the user has seen at least one product this snippet will be visible.